To get the best places and be ahead of the crowd, you need to be prepared. You can gain an edge over others by following these few simple steps:
1. Know your credit score. If you don’t have a recent credit report, get one before you start looking for an apartment (go to ftc.gov). Nobody expects perfect credit from a renter, but a score above 580 or 600 is a plus,
2. Know yourself: Do a background check through an online service like intelius.com.
3. Line up your fan base. Prepare a list of references in advance, and get a letter from your last landlord that brags about what a wonderful tenant you were.
4. Xerox stuff. Photocopy your driver’s license, Social Security card and work ID.
5. First impressions count. When you meet with a building owner, dress nicely, be on time and bring all the information you’ve assembled. Owners want to know who you are and that they’re going to get paid. Provide them with these assurances, and you move to the front of the line.
Keller Williams Real Estate
9120 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Office: (718) 954 8400
Direct: (212) 300-3919
* Luke Constantino has been a Realtor in the NYC area for over 15 years. He has also spoken at numerous seminars and given professional advice in magazines, newspapers and television. Mr. Constantino currently works in the Park Slope/Brooklyn Heights area as a Realtor for Remax at The Slope.